- Uneven Justice: State Rates of Incarceration by Race and Ethnicity, Sentencing Project. July, 2007.
- Consideration of Reports Submitted by States Parties Under Article 40 of the Covenant, [PDF] United Nations - Human Rights Committee. July, 2006. (The UN expresses numerous concerns about the state of civil and political rights in the United States)
- Law Enforcement and Arab American Community Relations After September 11, 2001: Engagement in a Time of Uncertainty, [PDF] Vera Institute of Justice. June, 2006. "Although community members also reported increases in hate victimization, they expressed greater concern about being victimized by federal policies and practices than by individual acts of harassment or violence."
- A Report on Pre- and Post-Katrina Indigent Defense in New Orleans [PDF] Southern Center for Human Rights. April, 2006. "More than six months after Katrina, a majority of [indigent defendants] remain behind bars, where they have languished on average for over a year without any communication with a defense attorney."
- Human Rights in the Heartland: An assessment of social, economic, civil, and political rights in the Midwest, [PDF] Heartland Alliance. December, 2005. "Historically, the U.S. has been a beacon of hope for those seeking safety and opportunity, but our nation falls short of its potential in assuring a full complement of human rights - civil, political, social, economic, and cultural."
- Incarceration is not an equal opportunity punishment Prison Policy Initiative. June, 2005. (Who imprisons more Blacks?; Current incarceration rates for the U.S. compared with 1993 apartheid South Africa)
- Don't Mind If I Take a Look, Do Ya? An Examination of Consent Searches and Contraband Hit Rates at Texas Traffic Stops, [PDF] Texas Criminal Justice Coalition. February, 2005. (2005 Racial Profiling Report)
- Race & Imprisonment in Texas: The Disparate Incarceration of Latinos and African Americans in the Lone Star State, [PDF] Justice Policy Institute. February, 2005.
- Racial disparity in sentencing: A review of the literature, [PDF] Sentencing Project. January, 2005.
- Race and Incarceration: A Preliminary Consideration, [PDF] Delaware Center for Justice and Metropolitan Wilmington Urban League. 2005.
- Still in Danger: The Ongoing Threat of Sexual Violence against Transgender Prisoners, [PDF] American Civil Liberties Union National Prison Project. 2005. ""Transgender women behind bars continue to report that they re housed in the general population in male facilities [...] and they continue to report that they are sexually assaulted in detention.""
- American Indians and Crime: A BJS Statistical Profile, 1992-2002, Bureau of Justice Statistics. December, 2004.
- Fifteen Years of Guidelines Sentencing U.S. Sentencing Commission. November, 2004.
- Civil Rights Enforcement by Bush Administration Lags Trac Reports. November, 2004.
- Mass Imprisonment and the Life Course: Race and Class Inequality in U.S. Incarceration, [PDF] Becky Pettit and Bruce Western. May, 2004.
- Racial disparities in incarceration by state, 2000 [Website] Prison Policy Initiative. May, 2004. (Graphs showing the percentage of each state's total and prison population that is of a particular racial/ethnic group)
- Incarceration rates by race, 2001: [Website] Prison Policy Initiative. April, 2004. (Blacks, Whites, Latinos per 100,000 for each state and the U.S.)
- Schools and Prisons: Fifty Years After Brown v. Board of Education, [PDF] Sentencing Project. April, 2004.
- State Rates of Incarceration by Race [PDF] Sentencing Project. January, 2004.
- Race and Incarceration in Maryland [PDF] Justice Policy Institute. October, 2003.
- Racial Disparities in North Carolina incarceration Prison Policy Initiative. September, 2003.
- Hispanic Prisoners in the United States [PDF] Sentencing Project. August, 2003.
- Incarcerated America: Backgrounder, Human Rights Watch. April, 2003.
- The Mark of a Criminal Record [PDF] Prof. Devah Pager, Northwestern University. March, 2003.
- A Department in Denial: The San Francisco Police Department's Failure to Address Racial Profiling, [PDF] ACLU of Northern California. October, 2002.
- Race and Incarceration in the United States Human Rights Watch. February, 2002. "first state-by-state incarceration rates for whites, blacks and Latinos based on actual correctional facility counts"(Note the links to the report and tables on the right)
- Reducing Disproportionate Minority Confinement: The Multnomah County Oregon Success Story and its Implications, Justice Policy Institute. January, 2002.
- The Vicious Circle: Race, Prison, Jobs and Community in Chicago, Illinois, and the Nation, [PDF] Chicago Urban League. 2002.
- Wisconsin Racial Disparities in Criminal Justice Project [Website] Professor Pamela Oliver University of Wisconsin Department of Sociology. 2002.
- Mass Incarceration as Reverse Reparations [PDF] Chicago Urban League. September, 2001.
- Color of the Keystone: Racial and Ethnic Disparity in the Use of Incarceration in Pennsylvania, Justice Policy Institute and National Center on Institutions and Alternatives. August, 2001.
- The brotherhood: Racism and intimidation among prison staff at Indiana Correctional Facility-Putnamville, [PDF] Kelsey Kauffman. July, 2001.
- Racism and the administration of justice Amnesty International. July, 2001. (Covers the whole world, based in international law)
- Masking the Divide: How Officially Reported Prison Statistics Distort the Racial and Ethnic Realities of Prison Growth, [PDF] National Center on Institutions and Alternatives. May, 2001.
- Drugs and Disparity: The Racial Impact of Illinois' Practice of Transferring Young Drug Offenders, Building Blocks for Youth. April, 2001.
- The Color and Geography of Prison Growth in Illinois [PDF] Chicago Urban League. 2001.
- Justice on Trial: Racial Disparities in the American Criminal Justice System, [PDF] Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, Leadership Conference Education Fund. 2001. (2.5MB)
- Color Bind: Prisons and the New American Racism, [PDF] Chicago Urban League. 2001.
- Reducing Racial Disparity in the Criminal Justice System: A Manual for Practitioners and Policymakers, [PDF] Sentencing Project. October, 2000.
- Punishment and Prejudice: Racial Disparities in the War on Drugs, Human Rights Watch. May, 2000.
- Crisis of the Young African American Male and the Criminal Justice System [PDF] Sentencing Project. April, 2000.
- And Justice for Some Building Blocks for Youth. April, 2000.
- The Color of Justice An Analysis of Juvenile Adult Court Transfers in California, Building Blocks for Youth. February, 2000.
- The Impact of Race and Ethnicity on Charging and Sentencing Processes for Drug Offenders in Three Counties of Washington State, [PDF] Washington State Minority and Justice Commission. December, 1999.
- American Indians and Crime Bureau of Justice Statistics. February, 1999. "American Indians are victims of violent crime at double the rate of the general population"(includes some incarceration statistics)
- Juvenile Justice and Disproportionality: Patterns of Minority Over-Representation in Washington's Juvenile Justice System, State of Washington Sentencing Guidelines Commission. December, 1997.
- The Problem Of Overrepresentation Of Minority Youth In The Justice System Building Blocks for Youth. 1997. (date is approximate)
- Modern Capital of Human Rights? Abuses in the State of Georgia, Human Rights Watch. July, 1996.
- Race and drug law enforcement in the state of Georgia Human Rights Watch. July, 1996.
- A Preference for Vengeance: The Death Penalty and the Treatment of Prisoners in Georgia, [PDF] Southern Center for Human Rights. June, 1996.
- Young African Americans and the Criminal Justice System in California: Five Years Later, Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice. February, 1996.
- Young Black Male Victims Bureau of Justice Statistics. December, 1994.
- Does the punishment fit the crime? Drug users and drunk drivers, questions of race and class, [PDF] Sentencing Project. May, 1993. (Executive summary to longer report not available online)
- A Question of Race II: New York and Its Neighbors A Look at the Incarceration of Whites and Minorities in the United States, [PDF] New York State Coalition for Criminal Justice. 1990.
- A Question of Race Minority/White Incarceration in New York State, Center for Justice Education. January, 1987.